Adam Williams ‘14
In honor of the Class of 2013, the Edsman takes a look into the 10 best sports events of their four years at St. Edward.
1. 2010 Football State Championship As sophomores, the class of 2013 contributed more on the practice field than on the game field for this State Championship team. But, this is by far the most historic and important victory for the school and the class of 2013. This championship will be the lasting legacy of each class that was involved.
3. 2012 First Rugby State Championship/ 2011 First Volleyball State Championship These two championships marked historic events at St. Edward. Both relatively new sports at St. Edward, Volleyball and Rugby made their mark on St. Edward sports history with their victories to win their respective championship.
4. 2012 Basketball State Final Four Run Riding on the backs of seniors, the St. Edward basketball team made an incredible run to Columbus for the State Final Four. With contributions from the Class of 2013, the eagles were able to ride their wave of momentum and enthusiasm into St. Edward history.
5. Comeback Wrestling State Championship 2011 After losing their first State Championship in over 15 years in 2010, the eagles were able to withstand pressure from the field and reestablish their dominance on the mats with their 2011 state championship.
6. 3 Straight Track and Field State Championships 2012-2013 Led by Class of 2013 members Aaron Zedella and Anthony Young, the eagles were able to capture three straight track and field state championships, indoor, outdoor and indoor in 2012-2013. This streak can be continued by the Class of 2013 this June in Columbus.
7. Basketball Win Vs. Mater Dei Led by senior leadership and the student section, the eagles managed to pull off a victory over number 1 ranked Mater Dei from California. This could be considered the greatest basketball victory in recent St. Edward history.
8. Hockey’s Triple Overtime Victory over St. Ignatius 2012 A classic for the ages, the hockey team was able to overcome three overtimes and defeat their previously undefeated rival St. Ignatius to advance to the state Frozen Four. This game is one of the greatest hockey victories in St. Edward History.
9. 2 Straight Trips to the Hockey Final Four 2011-2012 The sophomores and juniors of the class of 2013 led these hockey teams to the brink of two state championships. Standouts Gabe Lampron and Connor King represented the Class of 2013 in these classic St. Edward playoff runs.
10. Football Goes 10-0 During the Regular Season 2012 The Class of 2013 played a crucial role in the success of the St. Edward football team their senior year. With leadership from all of the seniors, the team was able to overcome insurmountable odds and beat Cincinnati Moeller after being down by as many as 21 points in the third quarter. Also, the team played another classic Holy War to beat St. Ignatius in the final game of the regular season. Despite their playoff troubles, the 2012 Football team will be remembered for its outstanding senior leadership.